Sunday, January 30, 2011

Rose-colored glasses

"Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone"  ~~ G.B. Stern

This week the writing muse left me.  I thought each day about things for which I was grateful ... but when I thought about writing ... well ... the empty blog is evidence of what happened.

Some may think that focusing on gratitude each day is a mere exercise in looking at the world with "rose-colored" spectacles.  Or others may think that writing about the things for which we are grateful indicates that our lives don't have the usual messy stuff ... messy people, messy work, messy concerns.

That's not true, of course.  It's not the lack of "problems" that promotes the work of gratitude ... it is in the fuzzy situations, the small messes, the big issues of life that remind me that I have so much for which to be thankful.

Saying out loud, "Thank you!" is about gaining perspective ... and eternal perspective!  Peterson says in his translation of verses in Philippians: "Alive, I'm Christ's messenger; dead, I'm his bounty. Life versus even more life! I can't lose."

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment